I'm a member of the research staff at IBM research Zurich. My research interests are in distributed systems, networking and operating systems. I graduated with a PhD from ETH Zurich in 2008 and spent two years (2008-2010) as a Postdoc at Microsoft Research Silicon Valley.
The general theme of my work is to explore how modern networking and storage hardware can be exploited in distributed systems. Currently I'm working on the Crail project, a new userpace I/O architecture for the Apache data processing ecosystem (Spark, Hadoop, Flink, etc.) based on the Crail distributed file system. The Crail file system and its higher level components (e.g., shuffle engine, SQL operators, etc.) are designed from ground up for fast storage and networking hardware.
Earlier, I developed DiSNI, a zero-copy RDMA-based network stack for the JVM, DaRPC, a ultra-low latency RPC library also for the JVM, and jVerbs, an RDMA-based network stack and precurser of DiSNI, which is part of the IBM JDK since May 2014.
- October 2016: our (ongoing) work on the Crail distributed file system is available at github.com/zrlio/crail
- July 2016: DiSNI library available at github.com/zrlio/disni
- July 2016: DaRPC library available at github.com/zrlio/darpc
- On the [Ir]Relevance of Network Performance for Data Processing: Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Radu Stoica, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Nikolas Ioannou, HotCloud 2016
- A Hybrid I/O Virtualization Framework for RDMA-Capable Network Interfaces: Jonas Pfefferle, Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Thomas Gross, ACM VEE'15, March 2015
- DaRPC: Data Center RPC: Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, Jonas Pfefferle, ACM SOCC'14, Seattle, WA, November 2014
- JVerbs: Ultra-Low Latency for Data Center Applications: Patrick Stuedi, Bernard Metzler, Animesh Trivedi, ACM SOCC'13, San Jose, CA, October 2013
- Unified High-Performance I/O, One Stack to Rule Them All: Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Bernard Metzler, Roman Pletka, Blake Fitch, Thomas Gross, HotOS'13, Santa Ana Pueblo, NM, May 2013
- Pasture: Secure Offline Data Access using Commodity Trusted Hardware: Rama Kotla, Tom Rodeheffer, Indranjit Roy, Patrick Stuedi, Benjamin Wester, OSDI'12, Hollywood, CA, October 2012
- Wimpy Nodes with 10GbE: Leveraging One-Sided Operations in Soft-RDMA to boost Memcached: Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, (Short Paper), Usenix'12, Boston, MA, June 2012
- A Case for RDMA in the Clouds: Turning Supercomputer Networking into Commodity: Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, Patrick Stuedi, APSys'11, Shanghai, China, July 2011
- Contrail: Enabling Decentralized Social Networks on Smartphones: Patrick Stuedi, Iqbal Mohomed, Mahesh Balakrishnan, Morley Z. Mao, Venugopalan Ramasubramanian, Doug Terry, Ted Wobber, ACM Middleware'11, Lissabon, Portugal, (Best Paper)
- The Duality between Message Routing and Epidemic Data Replication: Peter Gilbert, Venugopalan Ramasubramanian, Patrick Stuedi, Doug Terry, Hotnets'09, New York, October 2009
I'm co-teaching the following courses at ETH Zurich.
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2016
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2015
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2014
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2013
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2012
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2011