Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM | IEEE Computer Society | IEEE Member | USENIX: The Advanced Computing Systems Association
more informationMore information: Google Scholar
I am broadly interested in research involving distributed systems, computer networking and cloud computing. I completed my Ph.D. in Spring 2014, under the careful supervision of Prof. Andrew Warfield at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
My current research focuses on Microservices architecture and DevOps enablement, wherein I am investigating techniques for non-intrusive ways to perform resiliency testing, performance profiling and debugging. My two recent projects in this area are Gremlin and Amalgam8.
Gremlin is a open-source framework for systematic, runtime-agnostic resilience testing of microservice applications. It enables developers to run reproducible failure scenarios and validate application's failure recovery behavior.
Amalgam8 is an open-source microservice integration platform that simplifies the integration of polyglot microservice applications and provides a SDN-style control plane for version-aware/content-aware routing between microservices, resilience testing using Gremlin, etc. Checkout our project at GitHub!
- Wei Zhang, Jinho Hwang, Shriram Rajagopalan, K. K. Ramakrishnan, and Timothy Wood. Flurries: Countless Fine-Grained NFs for Flexible Per-Flow Customization. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM International Conference on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies (CoNEXT), December 2016.
- Shriram Rajagopalan. Amalgam8: Simplifying Microservice Orchestration and Integration. Blog article, IBM developerWorks Open, June 2016
- Shriram Rajagopalan. Systematic Resilience Testing of Microservices with Gremlin. Blog article, IBM developerWorks Open, June 2016
- Victor Heorhiadi, Shriram Rajagopalan, Hani Jamjoom, Michael K. Reiter, and Vyas Sekar. Gremlin: Systematic Resilience Testing of Microservices. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), June 2016
- Wei Zhang, Jinho Hwang, Shriram Rajagopalan, K. K. Ramakrishnan, Timothy Wood. Performance Management Challenges for Virtual Network Functions. Proceedings of IEEE NetSoft, 2016
- Shriram Rajagopalan, Tamar Eilam, and Hani Jamjoom. Real-time Performance Profiling and Analytics for Microservices using Spark. Blog article, Spark Technology Center, August 2015
- Shriram Rajagopalan, and Hani Jamjoom. App-Bisect: Autonomous Healing for Microservice-based Apps. Proceedings of USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud), July 2015
Shriram Rajagopalan, Daniel Williams, and Hani Jamjoom. Pico Replication: A High Availability Framework for Middleboxes. Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC), October 2013
- Shriram Rajagopalan, Daniel Williams, Hani Jamjoom, and Andrew Warfield. Escape Capsule: Explicit State is Robust and Scalable. Proceedings of USENIX workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS), May 2013
Shriram Rajagopalan, Daniel Williams, Hani Jamjoom, and Andrew Warfield. Split/Merge: System Support for Elastic Execution in Virtual Middleboxes. Proceedings of USENIX symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), April 2013
Mihir Nanavati, Mark Spear, Nathan Taylor, Shriram Rajagopalan, Dutch T. Meyer, William Aiello, and Andrew Warfield. Whose Cache Line Is It Anyway? Operating System Support for Live Detection and Repair of False Sharing. Proceedings of ACM European Conference on Computer Systems (Eurosys), April 2013
- Umar Farooq Minhas, Shriram Rajagopalan, Brendan Cully, Ashraf Aboulnaga, Kenneth Salem, and Andrew Warfield. RemusDB: Transparent High Availability for Database Systems. The VLDB Journal, February 2013
Shriram Rajagopalan, Brendan Cully, Ryan O'Connor, and Andrew Warfield. SecondSite: Disaster Tolerance as a Service. Proceedings of ACM conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE), March 2012
- Jie Zhao, Rachel Pottinger, Cody Brown, and Shriram Rajagopalan. Schema Mediation in Peer Data Management Systems, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems (IJCIS), September 2011
Umar Farooq Minhas, Shriram Rajagopalan, Brendan Cully, Ashraf Aboulnaga, Kenneth Salem, and Andrew Warfield. RemusDB: Transparent High Availability for Database Systems. Proceedings of International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), August 2011 [Best Paper Award]