Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM | ACM SIGMM | Fellow, IEEE | IEEE Circuits and System Society | IEEE Computer Society | IEEE Signal Processing Society
more informationMore information: John R. Smith on Google Scholar | John R. Smith on DBLP | John R. Smith on LinkedIn | John R. Smith on Twitter
Dr. John R. Smith is IBM Fellow and Manager of Multimedia and Vision at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. He leads IBM’s Research & Development on image and video analysis and understanding including:
- IBM Watson Developer Cloud Visual Recognition
- Intelligent Video Analytics (IVA)
- Skin Cancer Image Analysis
- IBM Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval System (IMARS)
- Video Understanding for Augmented Creativity
Dr Smith previously was Senior Manager, Intelligent Information Systems and was Principal Investigator for multiple R&D projects on multimedia and vision including:
- IARPA ALADDIN ("Video Event Modeling and Retrieval based on Discriminative Semantic Features")
- DTO/IARPA VACE-III ("Analyst Centric Workbench for Large Scale Cross Domain Video Intelligence")
- DTO LSCOM ("Large Scale Concept Ontology for Multimedia")
- ARDA VACE-II ("Reconstructing and Mining of Semantic Threads Across Multiple Video Broadcast News Sources using Multi-level Concept Modeling")
Dr. Smith was a founding participant and served on the Advisory Committee for the NIST TRECVID Video Retrieval Evaluation. His research teams at IBM have participated in TRECVID evaluations for more than a decade.
Dr. Smith was co-General Chair of ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2016) in New York City.
Previously, he was Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Multimedia from 2010 – 2014, Associate Editor-in-Chief from 2006 – 2010 and Standards Editor from 2003 – 2006.
Historically, with Prof. Shih-Fu Chang at Columbia University, Dr. Smith developed some of the earliest approaches for content-based image and video retrieval, including:
- VisualSEEk - content-based image retrieval system
- WebSEEk - one of the first image and video search engines for the Web in 1995!
- Integrated Spatial and Feature Image Systems: Retrieval, Analysis and Compression, 1997. Advisor: Prof. Shih-Fu Chang, Columbia University.
- Dr. Smith gave a presentation on "Augmented Creativity" and participated on a panel at the IJCAI-17 AI Festival event on Creative Machines at Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA) on Aug. 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited talk at the IJCAI-17 Industry Day in Melbourne, Australia on August 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited presentation at the Tech Open Air (TOA) Conference on July 13, 2017.
- Dr. Smith participated on a panel moderated by Steve Lohr on "The Future of Augmented Intelligence" at the World Science Festival in New York City on June 3, 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented "Opportunities to Improve Our Lives leveraging Visual Recognition at Scale" at the LDV Vision Summit in New York City on May 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented an invited talk on "Can AI be Creative?" at the Institute of Communications Agencies in Canada (ICA) FutureFlash conference on May 17, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave a Tribeca Lounge Talk on "The Quest for AI and Creativity" at the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented a plenary talk on "New Challenges and Opportunities for Image Analysis in Healthcare" at IEEE Intl. Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI) 2017 in April 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented an invited talk on "Can artificial intelligence be creative?" at CPH:CONFERENCE – Art, Technology & Change at the CPH:DOX documentary film festival in March 2017.
- Dr. Smith participated on a panel on "Convergence of VR and AI" at the MIT Tech Conference in February 2017.
- Dr. Smith was an invited guest speaker at the "Nestlé Skin Tech Design Clinic" in December 2016.
- Dr. Smith presented a keynote talk on "AI + Creativity for Filmaking" at La Digital Tech in December 2016.
- Dr. Smith presented Watson’s Visual Recognition at the Watson Developer Conference (DevCon) plenary session in November 2016.
- Dr. Smith served on an invited panel on Multimedia Research and Products at IEEE Intl. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (ICME) in July 2016.
- Dr. Smith was General Chair, ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2016) in New York City in June 2016.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited plenary talk at IEEE Intl. Symposium on Multimedia in December 2015.
- Dr. Smith is a co-founder and steering committee member of the Greater New York (GNY) Multimedia and Vision Meeting:
- 1st Multimedia and Vision Meeting in Greater New York Area, February 2012
- Dr. Smith co-presented a tutorial with Liangliang Cao, Shih-Fu Chang and Rogerio Feris on Learning visual semantics: models, massive computation, and innovative applications at IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR-2014).
- Dr. Smith co-presented a tutorial with Liangliang Cao on Massive-Scale Multimedia Semantic Modeling at ACM Multimedia 2013.
- Dr. Smith gave the keynote talk at ACM Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval Intl. Conf (SIGIR-2013).
- Dr. Smith was co-Technical Program Chair for ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2013).
- Dr. Smith was co-General Chair for ACM Multimedia 2012.
Editor-in-Chief articles for IEEE MultiMedia (2010 - 2014):
- "How Many Visual Concepts?", January-March 2014 (vol. 21 no. 1).
- "Herding Cats", October-December 2013 (vol. 20 no. 4).
- "Lessons in Learning", July-September 2013 (vol. 20 no. 3).
- "Reconstructing Events", April-June 2013 (vol. 20 no. 2).
- "Just the Facets", January-March 2013 (vol. 20 no. 1).
- "Problems Gone By", October-December 2012 (vol. 19 no. 4).
- "Rich Media, Poor Media", July-Sept 2012(vol. 19 no. 3).
- "A Virtual Opinion", April-June 2012 (vol. 19 no. 2).
- "Minding the Gap", January-March 2012 (vol. 19 no. 1).
- "Open Channel for News", Oct.-Dec. 2011 (vol. 18 no. 4).
- "History Made Everyday", July-Sept. 2011 (vol. 18 no. 3).
- "A Great Challenge", April-June 2011 (vol. 18 no. 2).
- "Express Yourself", January-March 2011 (vol. 18 no. 1).
- "Clicking on Things", October-Dec. 2010 (vol. 17 no. 4).
- "The Not So Newlywed Game", July-Sept. 2010 (vol. 17 no. 3).
- "The Red Balloon", April 2010 (vol. 17 no. 2).