- Named as ACM Distinguished Speaker (April '17)
- Accepted at IEEE Cloud'17
- "Risk-Based Packet Routing for Privacy and Compliance-Preserving SDN"
- "Compliance-Aware Provisioning of Containers on Cloud"
Ashish Kundu is a Master Inventor, and Research Scientist in Security Research at the IBM T J Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York. Dr. Kundu is an ACM Distinguished Speaker, and a IEEE Senior Member. Dr. Kundu leads the Research efforts for Security and Compliance for IBM Watson Health.
Research & Technical Interests: Dr. Kundu's research interests are in Security, Regulatory Compliance, Ethics and Privacy: "How to deliver holistic end-to-end security and compliance by weaving the fabrics of security, compliance and privacy with data, users and system together in an intelligent and cognitive manner". The domains he is particularly interested are cloud, mobile/IoT, and regulatory computing environments. He is also spending some of his cycles on AI ethics and testing the line that separates science and philosophy that drives ethics in terms of "security and trust" in intelligent machines.
Publications and Patents:
- 30+ publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
- 100+ patents filed/filed, 50+ granted, several more in the works ...
Some of his primary contributions to the scientific community are the development of leakage-free redactable signatures, discovery of security issues in programming languages, such as buffer overflows due to vulnerabilities in the “placement new” expression in C++, development of several cloud security and compliance techniques. During his research work, Ashish has established the areas of "privacy-preserving digital signatures, and data integrity techniques".
Ashish's research work has directly and indirectly influenced several products and services. He is the security and compliance research lead for IBM Watson Health Cloud Platform. He has been the research lead for security and compliance for IBM Watson Genomics, and IBM Cognitive Learning for Education Cloud Platform. His prior work has also gone into IBM Hybrid Cloud offerings as well as to IBM Everyplace Access toolkit.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- Guest Editor, IEEE Internet Computing Special Issue on Healthcare Informatics and Privacy
- PC member: IEEE Cloud'17, EDGE'17
- [past conferences: CIKM'16, CLOUD'16, ICDCS'14, CODASPY'14, and many others...]
Awards & Honors:
- ACM Distinguished Speaker, April 2017.
- Competent Communicator, Toastmasters International, 2016
- Star Alumnus, NIT Rourkela (Alumni Association), 2015
- IBM Master Inventor, IBM Research, 2014 [Purdue story]
- CERIAS Diamond Award, Purdue University, 2011
- Top Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University, 2011
- Best research poster (second), Annual CERIAS Symposium, 2008
- Best research poster (second), Annual CERIAS Symposium, 2007
- Best Student Paper, IEEE Enterprise Computing Conference, 2006
- Best research poster (third), Annual CERIAS Symposium, 2006
- Bravo award, IBM Research, 2003
- Honors in Bachelor of Engineering, NIT Rourkela, 1998
- National Merit Scholarship of India, 1991 - 1998
"The final reward for any researcher is to see his or her lifetime of work extend beyond academia and laboratories, into the mainstream of our global society where it can breathe hope into the world. " -- Prof. Ei-ichi Negishi, Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Nobel Banquet Speech, 2010.