- Smarter Energy Group
- Smarter Planet Solutions
- Spoken Web
- WATTALYST: Modeling and Analyzing Demand Response Systems
Anupam is technically leading the rural electrification initiative within the Smarter Energy group at IBM Research trying to build and analyze electrification solutions for the developing world. Prior to this, he was the working on the Spoken Web project from 2008-2013 trying to provide informational access solutions on the mobile phone to the rural world that has been away from the internet revolution for about two decades now.
His research is primarily focussed on building sustainable technologies for the underprivileged (ICT for Development) and broadly on humanitarian efforts that help the needy, protect the environment and enable harmonious living. He believes in inclusive growth and an imminent need to focus our energies and resources to where they are most needed.
Having done his MS in Computer Science from University of Southern California, he has worked with the research group at Information Sciences Institute in Marina Del Ray, California and then with Genesys Labs, an Alcatel-Lucent company in the Silicon Valley for a few years before moving back to India. In the past, he has generally been involved in the areas of mobile/telephony applications, energy solutions and information/data management. He likes to meditate, listen to soft music and solve logic puzzles (not all at the same time).
- Co-chair - PC Track on Designing Open and Sustainable Technologies for Development at IFIP WG 9.4 Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, 2015, Sri Lanka.
- Organizer and Panelist - Panel: Can you do good and do well? Exploring HCI Careers for Societal Impact, CHI 2014, April 2014, Toronto, Canada. (Wiki)
- Program Committee Member, IFIP TC9 HCC 11 (2014), Theme: Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, July 2014, Turku, Finland.
- Program Committee Member (Notes), ICTD 2013, December 2013, Cape Town, SA.
- Moderator - Panel: Microvolunteering: Helping the Helpers in Development, CSCW 2013, Feb 2013, San Antonio, TX. (Wiki)
- Co-chair - PC Track on Designing Applications, Services, Systems and Infrastructure for Development at IFIP WG 9.4 Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, 2013, Jamaica.
- Co-chair - Open Session on Sustainable ICTD at ICTD 2012, Atlanta, GA. (Wiki+Synopsis)
Can you do good and do well? Exploring HCI Careers for Societal Impact. Anupam Jain, Matthew Kam, Michael Best, Elizabeth Gerber, Rowena Luk, CHI 2014, April 2014, Toronto, Canada.
Vimprint: Exploring Alternative Learning through Low-end Mobiles. Sheetal K Agarwal, Jyoti Grover, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Interact 2013, Sep 2013, Cape Town, South Africa.
Micro-volunteering: helping the helpers in development. Michael Bernstein, Mike Bright, Ed Cutrell, Steven Dow, Elizabeth Gerber, Anupam Jain, Anand Kulkarni, Extended Abstracts of CSCW 2013, Feb 2013, San Antonio, Texas.
Audio Cloud: Creation and Rendering. Jitendra Ajmera, Om D Deshmukh, Anupam Jain, Amit Anil Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, Saurabh Srivastava, IUI 2012, Feb 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
TapBack: Towards Richer Mobile Interfaces in Impoverished Contexts. Simon Robinson, Nitendra Rajput, Matt Jones, Anupam Jain, Shrey Sahay, Amit Nanavati, CHI 2011, May 2011, Vancouver, BC.
Avaaj Otalo - A Field Study of an Interactive Voice Forum for Small Farmers in Rural India. Neil Patel, Deepti Chittamuru, Anupam Jain, Paresh Dave, Tapan S. Parikh, CHI 2010, April 2010, Atlanta, GA. (Best Paper Award)
The World Wide Telecom Web Browser. Sheetal K. Agarwal, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Nitendra Rajput, ACM DEV 2010, December 2010, London, UK.
Organizational, Social and Operational Implications in Delivering ICT Solutions: A Telecom Web Case-study. Sheetal Agarwal, Ketki Dhanesha, Anupam Jain, Abhishek Kumar, Srijit Menon, Amit Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, Kundan Srivastava, Saurabh Srivastava, ICTD 2010, December 2010, London, UK.
The Spoken Web: A Web for the Underprivileged. Sheetal K Agarwal, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Amit A. Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, ACM SIGWEB Newsletter, ACM New York, NY, USA, 2010.
Making a Case for Spoken Web as the Mobile Web for Developing Countries. Sheetal K Agarwal, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Priyanka Manwani, Amit A. Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, Aaditeshwar Seth, Workshop at Mobile Web for Social Development (MW4D) Interest Group, April 2009, Maputo, Mozambique.
1.US201313930427 - Hosting A Voice Response System On A Mobile Phone - Vivek Sanghi, Anupam Jain
2.IN920120069US1 - Creating, Rendering and Interacting with a Multi-Faceted Audio Cloud - Jitendra Ajmera, Om D Deshmukh, Anupam Jain, Amit A Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput
3.US20130034219 - Controlling a Voice Site Using Non Standard Haptic Commands - Anupam Jain, Nitendra Rajput, Simon Robinson
4.US20120294197 - System and Method for Collaborative Content Creation on the Telecom Web - Anupam Jain, Amit A Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput (Granted)
5.US20120197999 - System And Method For Making User Generated Audio Content On The Spoken Web Navigable By Community Tagging - Sheetal K Agarwal, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Amit A Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput
6.US20110191696 - Systems and Methods for Collaborative Browsing on the Telecom Web - Anupam Jain, Amit A Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput
7.US20110077941 - A Method And System For Enabling Spoken Tags on the Telecom Web - Kuntal Dey, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Natwar Modani, Amit A. Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput
1. December 2011: TEDx talk at TEDxGurgaon on Bridging the Digital Divide, Gurgaon, India
2. May 2011: Talk on A Web for the Underprivileged at DeveloperWorks, Chennai, India
3. December 2010: Talk on Spoken Web at W3C India Workshop on Web Accessibility Initiative in India: Technology, Standards and Implementation, Hyderabad, India
4. April 2010: Talk at Mobile Voice Conference, 2010, San Francisco, CA
on Bridging the Digital Divide with Mobile Phones
5. April 2010: Talk at Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism at USC on The Spoken Web: a mobile phone-based system for the underprivileged, Los Angeles, CA